Friday 20 February 2009

What I Did At Work ...


Some people dread going to work, but I really LOVE my job! For those of you who don't know, I work four mornings a week as an Admin Assistant at a retirement village at Highfields, about 20 minutes drive north of Toowoomba - which is one of the reasons I spend so much time at the Quilter's Angel visiting Marian and Steph ... it's just SOOOOOOOOOO handy on my way home! Tee! Hee! Hee! One of the reasons I love my job is that I feel like I've gained a very large extended family since starting work - OK, so I now have around 70 adopted grandparents!! Tee! Hee! Hee! And one of the things that has just blown me away since becoming a part of this large extended family is the generosity of the residents in our village!! That was reinforced yesterday when we had a "Bring & Buy" morning tea to raise money for the bushfire appeal.

The idea was that everyone who wanted to be involved brought something to put on a stall for sale - it could be something you'd made, something new you'd never used or even 'white elephant' items that may have been someone else's new treasure. I spent some time in my sewing room to make some patchwork glasses pouches.


They were a great, quick way to use some fabric scraps to make little giftie projects. None of them actually sold, but one of the residents pointed out that most of them don't take their glasses off except to sleep, so they don't really need a pretty case! Tee! Hee! Hee! Hadn't thought about that! Ah well, I'm going to keep one for my computer glasses (anti-glare!) and keep the rest in my birthday box cos they make great sunglasses cases to keep in a handbag! (Hmmm ... if there's any interest, I could post a tutorial?!?) However I digress ....!!

We had a lovely morning with about 40 people coming along to enjoy a shared morning tea and see what goodies there were to buy from our stall - most people said they went home with more than they brought! :0) Here are some photos of our morning ...


Here are some people checking out the goodies on the B&B stall.


People enjoyed a cup of tea together ...


And a chat!


You know how in every old western movie they show a bench outside the local saloon with a couple of old blokes sitting there watching the world go by and solving the world's problems? Well we had our own version! Tee! Hee! Hee! Oops! Except for Tony on the left there ... not so old!! He's our groundsman/handyman/general dogsbody!! He loves it when we have morning teas cos he gets home-made goodies!! :0)

Altogether, with donations and sale of items, we raised $380 for the morning, so together with other donations that have come in, our little village has raised around $3,500!! Not bad for somewhere where most of the residents are on a pension, hey!! And the best bit? Organising and being at the morning tea was part of my job! Did I mention I REALLY love my job! Tee! Hee! Hee!

Day off today, but it seems to have disappeared without getting too many jobs crossed off my "To Do" list. However, I reckon I've got an hour or so before I have to go pick my beloved Geek Boy up from work, so I think I'll head for the sewing room to work on those quilt blocks to send down to Karen at Mrs Martin's Quilt Shop! Hope you've all had a great week, whatever you've been up to. Will be back in the next day or so to share some more OPAM Challenge photos that have been emailed from some no-blogger's! Have a great weekend! Bear Hugs!

CHEERS!
KRIS

12 comments:

Amanda said...

How wonderful to have a job that you enjoy so much. I used to be like that with teaching until the bureacracy got too much.

Lorraine said...

I am lucky with my job as well...I agree it would be terrible to have to get up every day and go to a job that you hated!!sounds like you work with a lovely bunch of people...!

julia said...

Hi Kris,
cool - you can't value a job you love high enough...! I can understand why you like your job...;o)
The glasses pouches are sweet ~ I'll definitely keep them in mind when my father's birthday approaches {fortunately not too soon}. I bet you chose one of the left ones for your computer glasses...just don't put the pouch on your PINK...heehee...no, AQUA/LIGHT BLUE quilt...chances are that the pouch turns to a glasses "coffin" ;o) {I'm glad I have to wear my glasses all day ~ if not, I don't know how often I had to replace them...}.
Have a great weekend,
Julia

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

I'm with you Kris... I too love my job. We are the lucky ones!!

What a great contribution your village has made to the bushfire appeal.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Kerryanne

Greedy Nan said...

Nice to see so many men in amongst them - loving the lady in the purple dress too ...

May Britt said...

You got a wonderful job. My mother is at a retirement home and I apriciate so much the work the employees there do. They are such darlings to my mother and the others that live there. You have a important job.

Joy said...

You're so lucky to have a job that you love. My Mum lives in a retirement village and they're a lovely bunch of people there too :o).
Fabulous donation for the bushfire appeal too, what a great effort :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

ittybittyandpretty said...

i love it when i see a comment from you on my blog, you always make me happy with your bear hugs sign off, i can just imagine us having a big bear hug!! anyhow... i have been teaching for 12 years now and just this year i feel like i am losing my passion for it, i feel like i need a change or maybe just a change of schools ( i have been at current place for 10 years!!!) when i hear how happy others are i get very disheartened with my self. i have been like this for quite some time but it is getting worse each week!! anyhow you make me feel good... i just want to live in my home town toowoombrrrrr and raise my girls. one day%*_*%

Susan In Texas said...

Sounds like a fun job. Your glasses cases were very cute. I can think of another reason that those they didn't sell. I counted only 2 women and 0 men in your pictures that are actually wearing glasses. lol Do Aussies have exceptionally good vision or something?

Nearsighted in Texas,
Susan
http://www.susanintexas.blogspot.com

Melinda said...

I work in a quilt shop and I love it also. A tutorial would be great for the eyeglasses case. I misplace my glasses all the time since I only wear them to see up close. I am not sure a nice case would help but it sure wouldn't hurt.

simplestitches said...

Hey Kris,
Love your glasses case...wouldn't lose them in a hurry! A tutorial would be great please.

What a great little "village" raising so much money for the bushfire relief. Excellent.

Also, love your baby quilt, very lucky the little person that gets that. Karen is doing a wonderful job, collecting so many donations of blocks, tops, and loads of other items.

I love my job too, I work part time in a pharmacy, loads of laughter we get in trouble for laughing too much at times!), love the "oldies", they have such good stories....
cheers Julz

Tudy said...

I would love a tutorial on the eye glass case. Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...